Thursday, July 23, 2009

MGS4


You know, it's been about a year since I first completed Metal Gear Solid 4, but I just stumbled on some screen shots that brought a smile to my face... That game is just too awesome, and I think I have to go back through it again soon. (For about the 8th time.)

In this brief series of photos, you can see that I spent the time to knock out a fairly large group of guards with stun grenades and tranquillizer darts. I wanted to see how many I could render unconscious at one time, and it's apparently more than a couple...
Perhaps my only gripe with the AI was that it didn't wise up, and realize that I was there taking people out. Sure, the AI troops would wake each other up and remain cautious for a bit, but that never led them to look beneath the APC, and seldom did they look between the equipment pallets... Still, doing things like this allowed me to get away from killing everything that moved and somethings that didn't.

This of course makes me curious about the upcoming Metal Gear Solid titles: Peace Walker and whatever the heck the name of the other one was... It's being said that Peace Walker on the PSP will have Kojima's full attention in addition to having the MGS4 staff working on it, so I have no doubt that it will be an excellent game, but I really wonder how far they can push the PSP...

In all honesty, I really don't expect much out of the other title since it will be constrained to the limitations of the Xbox 360. Now, I'm not trying to throw hate at the 360... I own one, and I'm currently loving the hell out of Ghostbusters because Maxx, Tom, and Omar also own 360s and are playing it on that platform. Not to mention I love the hell out of Left 4 Dead, but the fact is the PlayStation 3 owns my heart. Not just for MGS4, but for Resistance 2, KillZone 2, LittleBigPlanet, and a fair number of other games I own for it. MGS4 made it clear to me that the PS3 is the superior platform, and frankly I haven't seen anything on the 360 that even comes close.
That said, this other title is going to be primarily action, rather than a lot of stealth, so I suspect that a lot of the game will be on the lines of a first or third person shooter, needing little subtlety or finesse as compared to other Metal Gear games. While I can handle that, and I'm not a purist, I would really much rather have the traditional stealth elements in the MGS series rather than have just another shooter. I have excellent shooters already, I don't necessarily need a MGS themed one. *COUGH*Metal Gear Online*COUGH*

No comments:

Post a Comment